For the second consecutive year, Lauren Embree was involved in the decision in the NCAA Women’s Tennis Championships final and the Gator All-American delivered in the end. Embree defeated McCall Jones, 6-4, 6-0, and Florida defeated top-seeded UCLA, 4-0, at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex. The 2012 national title match wasn’t as drama-filled as Florida’s 2011 championship when Embree rallied from a 4-0 third-set deficit to complete the win over top-seeded Stanford, 4-3, on the Cardinal’s home court. In last year's finals at Stanford, Embree rallied past Cardinal standout Mallory Burdette, 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (6).
“In the beginning I felt a little nervous but I just wanted not to get down a break like I’ve doing the last couple of matches,” said Embree. “I wanted to stay really focused and into the match from the beginning. As soon as I won that first set I knew that I could start playing relaxed and play a little better and that’s what I did.”
UCLA (26-3) set a program high for victories in a season, but Florida beat the Bruins in the NCAA tournament for a second straight year after beating UCLA 4-0 in last year's semifinals.
Florida (27-1), which finished the season winning its 22nd consecutive match, earned the program’s eighth all-time win against a number one-ranked team, including the second in an NCAA final, as the top-ranked Bruins ended its year with a 26-3 record.'
1. Sofie Oyen & Allie Will (UF) defeated Robin Anderson & Skyler Morton (UCLA), 8-2
2. Lauren Embree & Joanna Mather (UF) led Courtney Dolehide & Pamela Montez (UCLA), 6-5 (did not finish)
3. Alexandra Cercone & Caroline Hitimana (UF) defeated McCall Jones & Carlilng Seguso (UCLA) 8-5
1. Robin Anderson (UCLA) led Allie Will (UF) 6-4, 5-2 (did not finish)
2. Lauren Embree (UF) defeated McCall Jones (UCLA) 6-4, 6-0
3. Joanna Mather (UF) led Pamela Montez (UCLA) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (did not finish)
4. Sofie Oyen (UF) defeated Skylar Morton (UCLA) 6-3, 6-2
5. Alexandra Cercone (UF) defeated Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) 6-2, 6-0
6. Carlilng Seguso (UCLA) led Olivia Janowicz (UF) 7-6(6), 2-5 (did not finish)