Rafael Nadal says he will play in the Shanghai Masters this week, despite having appendicitis. After feeling pain in his abdomen late Saturday night, Nadal went to the doctor where they confirmed that he had the early stages of appendicitis.
Instead of having the surgery right away, the second-ranked Spaniard will take antibiotics to treat it while he plays.
“I am not going to go for surgery. That’s great news for me today,” said Nadal on-site at the event. “That’s why I’m here practicing for 45 minutes, and trying to play tomorrow. But obviously, I am not in my best condition.”
Following the tournament, Nadal will fly back home to Spain to get further evaluated and see if it is necessary to have his appendix removed. Nadal is playing in his second tournament since missing a chunk of time with a wrist injury. He returned to the courts last week at the China Open where he reached the quarterfinals.
“I don’t expect anything from these two tournaments,” said Nadal. “I expect just to come here and play again and practice and feel a little bit again the completion, try to get in rhythm as soon as possible.”
He will open up action in Shanghai with a second-round match against fellow Spaniard Feliciano Lopez.