| By Long Island Tennis Magazine Staff
The greatest doubles duo in tennis history are calling it quits, as Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan told the New York Times on Wednesday that they will be retiring before the U.S. Open.
Photo Credit: Brian Coleman

 

The greatest doubles duo in tennis history are calling it quits, as Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan told the New York Times on Wednesday that they will be retiring before the U.S. Open.  

“We just both feel it in our guts that it is the right moment,” said Mike Bryan. “At this age, it takes so much work to go out there and compete. We love playing still, but we don’t love getting our bodies ready to get out there. The recovery is tougher. We feel like we were competitive this year, last year, the year before. We want to go out right now where we still have some good tennis left.”

The Bryans had originally planned to retire after this year’s U.S. Open, but those plans became more difficult after the global pandemic shut down the tour for most of the year. Their goal was to be able to play one more time in front of fans, but with no spectators in attendance in New York this year, the duo decided to retire rather than play.

“We weren’t in this last year to just play the matches and to get points or to make money,” said Bob Bryan. “It was to really say our thank-yous to everybody and feel the atmosphere one last time. The crowds—that’s what makes the U.S. Open magical in our minds. We really applaud the U.S. Open for getting going and all the work they’ve put in to give tennis back to the fans on TV and to give players opportunities to compete again and make money, but it just wasn’t right for us.”

In all, the Bryan Brothers conclude their careers with 16 Grand Slam championships and 119 titles overall. They finished the year as the number one ranked doubles teams 10 different times, and won a Gold Medal at the 2012 Olympics.